Are you a new or established raw feeder that’s eager to learn more?
In case you haven’t got your fill of raw feeding information or natural healthcare info and wish to soak up even more juicy, tidbits – you’ve come to the right place!
Below you’ll find a complete list of raw feeding resources and natural healthcare references.
These are what I consider the tried and true raw reference favorites. Go ahead, immerse yourself in the helpful information, views, and opinions from other established raw feeding and natural healthcare experts.
While I do my best to cover the basics and explain the whys and hows of raw feeding – I don’t have all the answers…
It’s important to read and learn as much as you can from multiples sources. When it comes to food and nutrition, I always recommend doing your own research, questioning conventional wisdom, using common sense, and coming to your own conclusions.
Review the following raw feeding resources to gain a deeper knowledge of raw dog food diets and natural healthcare. Feel free to email me if you have anything to add or if you feel your website or content should be included.
There’s many other wonderful raw feeding websites, articles or companies out there, but this list serves to provide the most well known and complete raw feeding resources on the web.
RAW FEEDING INFORMATIONAL WEBSITES & BLOGS
These blogs are run by license veterinarians (some practicing and some who no longer practice) that support REAL-FOOD, raw diets, and natural health and healing for dogs.
- Dogs Naturally Magazine – a print and online publication that represents a thriving community of holistic vets, breeders, trainers, and dog enthusiasts that promote safer and more natural dog care including raw diet and nutrition information.
- Animal Wellness Maga
- Dr. Dobias Natural Healing Blog – Dr. Dobias is a licensed doctor of veterinary medicine with more than 20 years of practical experience in conventional and holistic veterinary medicine. His passions are natural healing and healthy lifestyles for dogs.
- Vital Animal – Will Falconer, DVM was once a conventional veterinarian that now educates pet owners about safe and natural health care options.
- Healthy Pets with Dr. Karen Becker – Dr. Karen Becker is the face (and the brains) behind Dr. Mercola’s pet division. She’s pro-raw and is filled with knowledge about diet and nutrition, health conditions, and natural health care for pets.
- Dr. Becker’s Bites – the blog for Dr. Karen Becker’s treat line
- Dr. Dee Blanco – The Dr. Dee Blanco, DVM blog is dedicated to holistic veterinary care and education. She blogs about fresh foods, raw diets, homeopathy, and more
- Naturally Healthy Pets – Dr. Judy Morgan DVM operates two veterinary hospitals offering an integrative approach and holistic practices like chiropractic, acupuncture,and food and herbal therapy.
- Dr. Cathy Vet – Dr. Cathy Alinovi is a retired veterinarian, published author and health expert on a variety of pet health and nutrition topics.
- Animal Wellness Magazine – A print and online publication (with a few vets on staff) catered towards health, nutrition. lifestyle and training topics for pets.
Newer Raw Feeding Websites & Blogs
These are some of the modern and more current raw feeding blogs on the web today.
- Primal Pooch – Our raw diet blog
- Perfectly Rawsome – A raw feeding information and advice website focusing on species appropriate diets for a variety of pets (dogs, cats, ferrets, etc.)
- Keep the Tail Wagging – Run by Kimberly Gauthier, she details her experiences with a raw diet and shares information for those looking to get started with raw.
- The Raw Feeding Community – a source of unbiased, informative information for all raw feeders.
- Raw Feeding Rebels – A website dedicated to promoting the benefits of raw and natural (unprocessed) diets for dogs, cats, and even fish.
- RawDogFood.co – Run by Dean Barrow, this site focuses on raw dog food topics and provides information and advice for a happier and healthier dog.
- The Truth About Pet Food – Run by Susan Thixton, The Truth About Pet Food is a tireless advocacy effort 100% supported by pet food consumers (not raw related).
- Poisoned Pets – Shares pet food consumer advocacy info (not raw related).
- Pack Lunch – Blog focusing on raw feeding and natural healthcare.
- Healthy Dog For Life – Dan Scott has authored several books on dogs and has a great blog dedicated to raw feeding and natural healthcare.
The OG’s: Original Raw Feeding Websites
These are some of the classic, original raw feeding websites that have been on the web for ages. Some are no longer updated but still contain a wealth of information for those looking to get started and were created by people who have been feeding raw for years, many with decades of experience.
- The Many Myths of Raw Feeding – This site has a comprehensive list of FAQ type questions and debunks common myths. It’s an absolute must read for anyone who is skeptical or has questions about why they should feed raw.
- Raw Learning – General information for learning about raw feeding.
- Raw Meaty Bones – Helpful information from Australian veterinarian Dr. Tom Lonsdale.
- Raw Fed Dogs.net – Great info for feeding raw
- Raw Fed Dogs.org – Detailed information on raw feeding and holistic health.
- Raw Meaty Bones Articles – This page of Dr. Lonsdales’s website provides papers, articles, and lectures by Lonsdale and other veterinary experts
RAW FEEDING FORUMS & GROUPS
Forums and groups are a great place to converse with other experienced raw feeders, to ask questions, to troubleshoot issues, and to learn a great deal!
The benefit with forums is that there’s often room for more lengthy discussions on topics. On the other hand, responses aren’t always immediate in forums, especially if you’re new.
With forums, it’s not uncommon for new members to be moderately more closely at first, so there may be a bit of a delay from the time you post a question until it’s accepted. Take the time to learn the ropes and the rules of the group you’re participating in to speed things up and get your questions answered promptly.
It’s also worth nothing that new raw feeding members have a tendency to ask the same questions that have been asked hundreds of times so there’s a chance you may not get many responses to your questions at first.
A good rule of thumb is to check the archives for questions that have already been answered at length in the past before posting a new question. You may find all that you need from these older discussions.
- Prey Model Raw – A popular raw feeding blog turned forum
- Raw Feeding Yahoo Group – This group is focused on prey model raw feeding only. It has many fantastic and knowledgable members with years of experience. Just a warning for newbies: this group has strict rules and does not tolerate talk of kibble, BARF, or any other way of feeding except PMR. While the rules can seem harsh at times, if you follow the rules and stay on topic you can learn a great deal.
- Raw Chat Yahoo Group – This group is an extension of the Raw Feeding group above where more lengthy and off topic discussions surrounding raw fed dogs can take place (i.e. worming, grooming, boarding, vaccinations, etc).
- Dogster Forms – Raw Food Diet – This is a great forum to ask questions on all kinds of raw feeding (prey model, BARF, commercial raw, etc.). It’s more accepting of other feeding styles so it’s a place to receive varied opinions on raw feeding.
- Carnivore Feed Supplier Yahoo Group – Group links to suppliers of raw food with people looking for supplies for their dogs, cats, ferrets, etc.
- Carnivore Feed Supplier CANADA Yahoo Group – Same as above but for Canada
- Richmond Virgínia BARF
- Southeast Virginia BARF
- Tennessee Tripe
- Middle Tennessee BARF
- Triangle Raw
- Charlotte, NC Area BARF feeders
- Southeastern Natural Rearing
- South Florida Raw Feeders
- Central Florida BARF
- FloriBama Raw
- BARFing Chicago
- Raw Feeding in Iowa
- BARF Kansas
- Kansas City BARF
- List of Michigan Dog Owners That Feed a Bones & Raw Food Diet
- Minnesota BARF
- St. Louis Raw for Pets
- Raw Fed Dogs in Montana
- Raw Fed Canines Wisconsin
RAW FEEDING & NATURAL HEALTH FACEBOOK GROUPS
Raw feeding Facebook groups are also very helpful, especially for new raw feeders.
It’s perfect for beginners that need quick advice and/or support through the initial learning curve. The great thing about Facebook groups is that replies are quick and someone is usually always available for a response. The only downside is that it’s a bit harder to have lengthy, in depth discussions about a particular topic on Facebook.
- Planet Paws – Pet nutrition industry news and health related topics.
- Rodney Habib – Rodney is a blogger, digital media artist and short film maker and the creator of Planet Paws (above).
- Raw Pet – This group is for raw feeders and people considering raw. They do not have to be a raw feeder to join, even part time raw feeders are encouraged. Also discusses how to feed raw to pets other than cats and dogs.
- Raw Fed Pets – A group of raw feeders regardless of the type of raw practiced. This is an open minded group.
- Raw Feeding FRIENDS – This is an accepting group whether your feeding raw or kibble, all our welcome.
- As Nature Intended – A group that supports raw feeding and also focuses on helping dog owners looking for help healing their pet’s health issues or prolonging their pet’s life.
- Raw Feeding Rebels – An open-minded and accepting raw feeding FB group discussing varying topics surrounding raw food.
- Raw Feeding Advice & Support – This group has been around since 2013 and is for Prey Model feeding only.
- Raw Feeding University – This group discusses the prey model diet only but it’s open to pets other than dogs like cats, ferrets, etc.
- Raw Feeding in Missouri, Arkansas, Kansas, Illinois and Iowa
- Raw Feeding Friends Bloomington Normal Illinois Area
RAW FEEDING BOOKS
There’s no better way to gain a wealth of knowledge than to read a book. While there are lots of books that make the same points and observations, I find that many complicate the feeding process with fancy recipes and analyses. These books are some of the favorites that make raw feeding easily understandable and keep it simple, as nature does.
- Raw & Natural Nutrition for Dogs by Lew Olson, PhD
- Unlocking the Canine Ancestral Diet by Steve Brown
- See Spot Living Longer by Steve Brown
- Dr. Becker’s Real Food for Health Dogs and Cats: Simple Homemade Food by Beth Taylor and Karen Shaw Becker DVM
- Work Wonders: Feed Your Dog Raw Meaty Bones by Tom Lonsdale
- Raw Meaty Bones Promote Health by Tom Lonsdale
- Give Your Dog a Bone by Dr. Ian Billinghurst
- The BARF Diet by Dr. Ian Billinghurst
- Raw Dog Food by Carina Beth MacDonald
EBOOKS & ULTIMATE GUIDES
- Primal Pooch eBooks – coming soon!
- FREE Heartworm Guide – This guide will show you how to prevent heartworm without medication and learn what your vet won’t tell you.
- FREE Vaccination Guide – Keep your dog safe from disease and vaccine-related damage
- FREE leaky Gut Guide – Learn about leaky gut and how it may be at the root of common health issues like allergies, scratching, and more. Stop wasting money on supplements, special diets that don’t work and learn the supplements and foods to give your dog instead.
- Drug Free Heartworm Prevention – An insider’s perspective from a conventional veterinarian turned holistic vet on how to keep your dog safe from heart worm without harmful drugs.
- Dr. Falconer’s Vital Path Group – If you join Dr. Falconer’s FREE vital path program, he provides a free course (Bach Flower), a free ebook (Insider Immune Protocols), and some other handout goodies.
RAW FEEDING MAGAZINES (print)
- Dogs Naturally Magazine – This is the cream of the crop! Dogs Naturally Magazine is like no other magazine because it’s run by holistic veterinarians and experts. With the print version, you’ll get more in-depth articles than the blog from the best in the business. If you’re looking to access the magazine’s digital archives they can be found here: 2011, 2012, 2013
- Raw Instincts Magazine – A digital publication focusing on species appropriate nutrition and all natural remedies for healthy and happy pets.
- Animal Wellness Magazine – Order the print version of AWM here.
CONFERENCES (the best investment in your dog’s health!)
- Raw Roundup – Brought to you by Dogs Naturally Magazine, this is the largest online holistic canine nutrition event in the world.
- Natural Canine Health Symposium – also run by Dogs Naturally Magazine is another online event this time focused on canine health.
- Natural Dog Conference – Held in the UK, the Natural Dog Conference aims to provide natural dog care solutions from experts in their fields.
- **DNM Homeopathy Course & Kit – A must have for any dog owner. This includes 18 remedies in a carrying case, a full online course, and course textbook. The course will give you the ability to respond to a good number of injuries and illnesses, save on vet bills, keep you out of the emergency clinic, and away from toxic and harmful medications.
- Rodney Habib – World famous pet nutrition blogger, Rodney Habib brings you the latest information and industry news.
- Mercola Healthy Pets – Dr. Karen Becker shares videos on how to create wellness and prevent illness in your pets.
- Dr. Judy Morgan – Nationally renowned author and veterinarian certified in acupuncture, food therapy, and chiropractic care shares her insight for dog owners via YouTube.